Monday, February 14, 2011

Ten Miles, Well Really Nine Miles Plus But Still!!!

Hey Mammoths. So I had a really good walk/run on Saturday with Matt. I started off hot and hitting my marks, actually I was hitting under them, and cruising up hills like they were nothing. All was great until mile 5 and then I was out of gas. I took my energy packets and slugged down some water but I just could not get any momentum going. Not sure why that happened other than it was so bloody cold out. Its kind of funny to think that I am a Mammoth afraid of the cold.

Mammoths its at these moments when its great to have a good friend rocking it with you. Matt kept urging me on and keeping me cheered up. I am really hard on myself and he was there to say, "Hey dude its cool. The most important part is that you are finishing today and that is what matters." He is right. For a Mammoth finishing is the most important thing but still you want to feel like you did your best and frankly I did not feel that way. Now this is not "stinking thinking" this a reality gut check and from my evaluation of the run I have posited the following:
1) Took off way to fast.
2) Did not follow my experience and shorten the walk/run ratio.
3) Did not eat a good enough breakfast for fuel.

So now that I know what I did wrong I have two weeks and four days to get it right. Can't believe it is going to be here that quickly. I am really looking forward to the race and breaking our time of 3:45. Matt and I are shooting for an under 3 1/2 and the way the course is laid out I think we have definite shot at. The best part of Albany, GA is the lack of hills. Athens has a a ton of hills to go up and down but Albany is basically flat.

We have the St. Joes Jog this Saturday. Jackie, Tilly, and myself plus a ton of people from my office will be doing it. We all have shirts made so you will know who the MoWerks Try Athletes are.

Alright Mammoths I hope to see you out on the range, stick by a good watering hole, and be mindful of what you are grazing on.

No comments:

Post a Comment