Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Holiday Grazing

So as a Mammoth I am constantly worried about my caloric intake. I try to stay around 2000 calories a day but during the holiday season this can be quite a task to maintain. Now granted 2000 calories is a lot of food but you have to remember my herd mates that when I was kicking it 500+ I was eating around 4 to 5000 calories a day and that is not hard to do if you constantly go through the drive-thru at Wendy's, McDonalds, and Popeyes fried chicken. So here are some of my tips to help you get through the holiday season.

1. Do not go through the drive-thru from the week before Thanksgiving to January 3. If you need fast food go to Subway and get a healthy sandwich. Or better yet have sandwich stuff at home ready for you to make. If you are so busy you can't make a sandwich you need to re-prioritize your life.

2. Remember that everything you eat you have to carry with you when you run. This is the one I hold onto the most because I do not want anything weighing me down.

3. Add ten minutes to your workouts. It may not seem like a lot but if you put in four workouts during the week and add ten minutes to it you have pretty much added another session of cardio.

4. Indulge but don't beat yourself up. Most of us when we indulge go "Well, POOP!!! There goes my plan. I might as well feast tomorrow too." That is the wrong answer. As Mammoths we know how to party and party responsibly. So after a great time we get up the next morning and go run. I did this in Berlin. I enjoyed some pear cider at a good rate and then the next morning got up and ran to Reichstag. As my great friend and mentor Bob Wright will tell you, "Do the next right thing."

These are just some helpful tips I use to get me through the holidays. You may gain some weight and that is okay, don't beat yourself up over it. Just get outside and move and regain control.

The holidays are hard for us Mammoths but being the solid beasts of the plains that we are we will meet them with style and grace :)

No comments:

Post a Comment